Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Introduction and Upcoming Posts

Welcome to discussions and commentary on absorbing the habits, actions, and principles of yoga into the busy life of the Western World. Yoga has been, for me, about slowing down and reconnecting with what's important to me and listening to my body's signals. That's the beauty of yoga once you find a connection with it.

We in the West generally only get exposed to the asanas, but there are many other elements. My goal is to help improve knowledge of them, and suggest ways to integrate them into our lives. Yogic knowledge about breathing, meditation, beliefs, and living are helpful, and the principles are shared in some practices already in use in the West.

Starting late last year, I began studying The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and found a number of parallels to yogic practices and principles. Part of learning is teaching what you know and are learning, so what better way to spread awareness of two things I find helpful than to make my blog posts relate to the habits?

I will touch on aspects of each habit, talking about what Steven R. Covey has said, and showing how they apply to yoga and a yogic lifestyle. When applicable, I will interview fellow yogis and yoginis who I feel have something to share on the topics at hand.

Just as yoga starts with the foundation (what touches the ground), any discussion of the 7 Habits starts with Habit 1: Be Proactive. I will post as soon as I feel I have a solid post to publish. Thank you for reading.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment