Saturday, January 24, 2009

Habit 1: Be Proactive - Choosing to Polish Ourselves

While reading to boost my writing imagination, I stumbled onto something that reminded me of an idea that several yoga teachers have impressed upon me over the years: Yoga is about peeling away the walls and layers that cover up who we really are, and letting our true self shine through our actions and appearance. I often heard talk of polishing the gem, the idea that the work we did in yoga class as removing the grime and other impediments to just being ourselves and being at peace.

The idea came from http://www.amazon.com/Inspiring-Creativity-Anthology-Practical-Successful/dp/0976737108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232862198&sr=1-1, which is an anthology of discussions on aspects of creativity and harnessing it. This idea came from an essay titled, "Self-Appreciation: How to Star in Your Own Life," on page 141. Put simply, we fixate on celebrities and such because we are not yet starring in our own lives. That stuck with me, resonating deeply within. It's a powerful thought: if I am the "star" of my own life, then I am comfortable with who I am and what I do.

Does it seem weird? Yes, at first. It's about deciding to draw contentment and excitement from within ourselves, and then from those close to us. I feel that I've come closer to achieving this since I feel I could do completely without gossip shows, tabloids, and their kin in all media. I'm still working on internalizing this; I believe that being Proactive takes serious acceptance of being your own "star."

How do you think you could become your own Star? What steps - mentally and physically - might be needed?

No comments:

Post a Comment